Better rules? No rules

Talk about anything here.

Moderators: [DB] Admins, Senior Admins, Executive Admins

LateLuis
PVT
Flag: Argentina

Better rules? No rules

Postby LateLuis » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:36 am

Yesterday's night I was a little tired and loosing attention to what was going on the game, which leaded me to fail to notice that my team had already took the enemy flag and still advancing and killing enemies.
I have been asked why and my answer was that I was tired and I should go to bed, to excuse myself.
It was a night like others, with some players commenting others players actions or misconducts like not falling back, shooting in spawn, or shooting across the map… Nothing exceptional.
I'm telling you this as an introduction to what follows: rules always lead us to a certain bitterness.
Furthermore, rules in civilisation undoubtedly exists, but you all will agree with me that rarely applies to war, which it's the annihilation of well-living rules.

I think that I have found, if not a solution, at least a perspective: no rules.
Gentlewomen* and gentlemen will always play fair (and fail sometimes, as humans do), and others don't, thus will always be recognised and happy welcomed.

Last, let's people watch themselves and see what happens, if only for a short period of time, as a test.
0 x
LateLuis
PVT

Re: Better rules? No rules

Postby LateLuis » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:37 am

* It's archaic, I know
0 x
kennison
SGT

Postby kennison » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:05 am

If there were no rules the game would devolve into a wild run and gun game with players using hacks and insulting one another. There are servers that have no or few rules. Try them out and see if you like them. Personally, I don't.

I may agree that gentlemen and gentlewomen will play fair but we don't always have gentlemen and gentlewomen playing on the server. And it only takes one to ruin the game.
0 x
Private Tiger
1LT
Flag: Great Britain

Postby Private Tiger » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:39 pm

Luis I admire your faith in the players to govern themselves. But as Kenni says, even then there are rules. IF you say no rules, it is run and gun craziness. Things like crouch, fall back are at the core of what we play.

Everybody knows you respect and know our rules Luis. I don't think anyone was on the edge of giving you a warning or anything like that. It was fair that you made a mistake and we all do make them sometimes. There were no hard feeling around the matter. No bitterness directed towards you.
0 x
LateLuis
PVT

Postby LateLuis » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:21 am

Thank you all for taking the time needed to answer me. Let me then clarify what's my intention posting this. I'm not whining about my sort, I mean, this is not personal.
I was just trying to analyze a problem which seems to appear frequently and conceive a potential solution.
Must I reassure you that I'm not looking to make an R&G server?
No, I'm only addressing a situation that we sadly know to endlessly repeat.
0 x
[DB]Dirtyboy
1LT
Flag: United States of America

Postby [DB]Dirtyboy » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 am

I know exactly what Luis is talking about; no patience or compassion by admins. An adminmy see someone upright, running, and issue warning, not realizing that they were throwing a nade. Because of spawns and the direction someone takes to the flag, might just put them in a place where fall back takes time, but yet, "Throw that warning out"!!! Calm down folks, it is just a game, accidents happen.
1 x
Secret Agent Man
SGT
Flag: Vietnam

Expectations

Postby Secret Agent Man » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:54 pm

People play with different attitudes. Sometimes they take the gameplay, rules, and tactics very seriously and want to WIN. Other times, they want to relax, chat, fool around, and/or don't really care about the outcome. Neither attitude is correct nor wrong, but conflict arises when players with different expectations are on the server together.
1 x
Banh mi, so meaty
Full of clam and sausages
Irritate bowel
[DB]Homestar
1LT

Postby [DB]Homestar » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:37 pm

I like to play while enjoying pizza and beer often wearing it because it's hard to do both. I watch players while I am waiting to respawn and rarely see habitual rule breaking so for me it's easy to forgive occasional mishaps like hip shots etc etc. What earns my respect the most is when I see players staying crouched while scoring the flag because there is always the chance of getting killed one step from the flag and everyone knows it. Not giving into the urge of standing is indeed the rule but still I find it admirable.

0 x
Bilko
1LT

Postby Bilko » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:45 pm

I can't imagine playing without rules. If you get called out or even falsely accused just respond with SORRY. That will end the drama 99% of the time. It's just a game, not a place to work out your personal feelings.
0 x
HapKiDo
1LT

Postby HapKiDo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:38 pm

Amen !
0 x

Share This

Return to “General”